Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT English, serious question

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jun 12, 2:36 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
I've made a dent in inventorying my printed books, but more just keep
showing up. I went to a flea market a few weeks ago. One of the dealers
gave me several large boxes of books and loaded them into my truck.

I have tried some of the cataloging software, but most are poorly
designed. Does anyone have any recommendations, other than just dumping
everything into a database program?...

I have no catalog at all. The paperbacks are stacked flat on shelves
with the tops out and the author or a word of the title written on it.
Last one out goes back on top. One pile out of dozens:
GAVIN
GIAP
GUEVARA
RICKENBACKER
YEAGER
RUDEL
GALLAND
J.WEBB
KHRUSHCHEV
BELENKO
PATTON
BITTER WOODS

Hard covers are piled similarly but not marked, I slide out the piles
and read the spines.

The time to find one to quote a passage in an argument is about 3-5
minutes, time spent cataloging is zero.

I have thousands of books, scattered through five buildings. A lot
are in boxes, to save space. One reason to catalog them is to sort out
duplicates. Another is to get a better idea of how many more bookcases
I need to build. Just my collection of semiconductor databooks and
service manuals fill my library.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.