Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default More updates on the Bridgeport conversion project

On 2010-06-10, Ignoramus28478 wrote:

[ ... ]

I found, specifically:

a) The main transformer is shaped like digit 8 and seems to take
single phase only.

Hmm ... let me try a couple of ASCII drawings to see which it is
closer to (the usual advice for Courier or another fixed pitch font
applies. I know that you know to use it, but in case someone else is
reading this it may help them)

[ ... ]

IIRC mine looks different.

.-------+-------.
| oooo|oooo |
| oooo|oooo |
| oooo|oooo |
| oooo|oooo |
| oooo|oooo |
.-------+-------.

The picture is on the bottom left he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-7343.jpg.html

O.K. Standard single phase transformer. Probably most of those
taps are to allow it to be configured for different line voltage inputs
-- probably 240 V up to well over 480V -- 5??V perhaps

And it may feed that voltage from a single phase to all of the
electronics in that rack. I note that each servo amplifier appears to
be fed by its own transformer (above it) which otherwise do not have
enough terminals to allow line voltage tweaking here. So it looks as
though your entire three axes are run from a single phase -- making it
easier to re-wire to use that in place of the original three phase.

and it confirms what I am saying.

Single phase for sure.

Both have a lot more winding and a lot less open window than I
showed, but I made it this open to make it clear how it is set up. The
ferro-resonant has another winding (on the primary side IIRC) which is
connected to an oil-filled AC capacitor and nothing else.

This one, seems to be one phase transformer.

Yes. Nothing special. I'm not even sure why you commented on
the shape -- it is a standard transformer core. I was expecting
something different.

It is labeled as 3 kVa. I am very tentative on
declaring this a 1 phase transformer, but this is what it looks like,
as I found only two inputs with voltage of 235 volts between them.
The transformer seems to output several voltages, but one of them is
380 volts.

Any photos?

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-7343.jpg.html

Single phase.

b) The servo drives are Bosch Z15-1-240v. Despite "240v", the drives
are connected to the transformer's 380v output. I searched Google on
this and found a lot of desperate people looking for schematic, no
schematic, and a lot of web spammers advertising "repair" of these
drives.

Hmm ... any useful markings on the drivers? Terminal strips
marked for function? Trimmer pots used for zeroing balance and tuning
gain for both input and feedback and for adjusting damping.

Hard to see without removing them, I will try.

It looks as though each servo amp has its own small transformer
on the board -- probably to isolate the on-board circuits from the
controlled voltage and current.

No photos of the servo amp boards from an angle which will show
much of the components -- I can't even tell whether there are trimpots
within reach of the front edge.

The board on the door (or side wall?) appears to be the serial
interface board -- which is likely to be set up to support either RS-232
or 20mA current loop.

c) The drives seem to have 380v as power in, have control inputs from
the controller setting speed, and what seems to be tachometer
input. (as I said yesterday, the motors definitely have tachometers on
them).

O.K. That voltage is probably necessary to get full torque at
full speed from the servo motors you have. (There should be maximum
voltage and maximum current on the motor's labels.)

Yep, max voltage 145 volts, pulse amps 32. (wow)

Yep -- the servo amp must be tuned to never exceed that 32A
limit. You have 9.5 V/1000 RPM and 2500 RPM max, so a maximum of 27.75
V from the tach at max speed.

See

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-7331.jpg

You can run them on lower voltages, but as a result you will get
less maximum speed and less torque.

d) There is three more wire coming out of the servo drives, that seem
like they would probably be used to drive motors. I am not sure why
three and I am not sure whether I can figure it out reliably (thoigh
maybe I can).

Those could be for inhibiting motion on the two directions, a
common, and a separate inhibit for each direction.

I will check, I think that they are for power. I can find it out by
tracing wires.

O.K. Please do so. :-) If they are power, they probably go to
the transformers mounted just above them.

[ ... ]

At least on the function of the wires and where the trimpots are for
different functions? If so, I would suggest trying to use them
first -- since they are a proper match for the supply voltages
needed for the motors. Not sure whether your AMC drives are for
that high a voltage.

Not even close, 80v as opposed to 145.

So -- the question is whether you can sacrifice the maximum speed
and torque combination for your uses.

Choice #2: Leave Bosch drives plugged in, leave their connection to
servos as is, and hook them up to Jon's PPMC. The attraction of choice
#2 is that it is superficially easier. However, I do not see the
inhibit function on the drives that could be triggered by limit
switches,

What about those unidentified three wires?

I should try to make them identified.

I'll look forward to that.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564