Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

"Existential Angst" on Sat, 12 Jun 2010
15:14:16 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
"Ignoramus1737" wrote in message
Appx. 22 years ago, as patr of my school curriculum, I underwent a
vocational class that culminated with me getting a lathe operator's
license.

I loved the class, though when we visited the actual factory where I
was told people with my training work, I realized that higher
education was the way to go.

Without that class, I am sure that I would not end up with a garage
full of machine tools.

Funny thing about "higher" education:
You can't do a goddamm thing with it, in actuality, but it does open
doors, ups the salary ante.
Higher ed is like a mental hazing.
The most useless people on earth are Manhattan's higher-educated echelon.
But, with pretty good paychecks.

If they can get those paychecks. For most liberal art majors, the
ones with the degree in "---- Studies", the reality is they graduate
with a monstrous debt load and a degree which is useless in the real
world. So they are stuck with the low end jobs which don't pay, and a
student loan payment that sucks the life out of them.

"higher ed" is going to be the next "bubble" to pop. Just like
the housing bubble, people are being loaned money they have no hope of
repaying.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!