Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT English, serious question

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 06:14:25 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 00:52:05 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote the following:

I never studied English formally, so I am not very experienced in such
matters.

Take hiim to a public library and introduce him to books. There is a
lot of good children's fiction. Enjoyable reading from good authors
will improve his English skills by osmosis, while being an enjoyable
activity. Summer is an excellent time to do this.

SciFi is a good starter for kids. Lots of younger SciFi out there.
Early Heinlein is a Great starter for kids.

I'll heartily second that. Asimov is good after that start. After
he's read all several hundred of theirs, it's time for Larry Niven.
MAN, I love that guy's writing! Andre Norton rounds out the last of
my top 4 SciFi writers of all time. I'm going through Anne
McCaffery's list now, both fantasy and SciFi. (The brainships were
fun.)

I was hummm 6-8, couldnt read a word, had no use for it. Then Mom
brought home a Tom Swift book from the library. By the time the summer
was over..Id read the entire set, was up to 7th grade reading level.
This was when I was just into kindergarden /1st grade somewhere about
that age. By the time I was in 5th grade, I was reading at
graduate/college level.

Cool.

And Ive been a book junkie ever since. When I went into the military in
71..I took a refridg shipping box..fullsized upright kitchen fridge,
filled with books to the library and donated them before shipping out.
A ton of Ace doubles etc etc..nearly all SciFi

Gunner, with about 6000 here at the homestead

Since our libraries split, I don't have access to _On Basilisk
Station_ and none of the local used book stores have a copy. Have you
seen it on one of your ebook sites, perchance? I really want to
reread that. (I'm rereading John Ringo's _Ghost_ this weekend. MAN,
what a hoot!)

Email me an valid email address..and Ill send you a care package.

Whats the max size you can receive?

Gunner

Gunner Asch