Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Sheet metal screws vs sheet rock screws....

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
You haven't said what the application is. Roger may feel like he wasted
his time responding, if you're asking about mounting the chin-up bars
you've been talking about lately, but his post is informative.

You've been around enough, and it should be apparent to you that you need
to mention what it is, you're asking about.
There isn't much point in responding to questions when the person asking
is being vague, IMO.. many times it takes a couple of days before the
details are eventually presented.

If this is the same question asked again, about mounting the chin-up bar..
what're ya gonna do, keep asking until someone says it's a good idea to
use DW screws?

I don't like using DW screws for much of anything other than drywall. Ever
notice that sharp "snap" when they're overtightened?
The common DW screws are hard and brittle, and will break suddenly under
certain circumstances.
I definitely wouldn't use them in metal, but that's me.

You should be examining real screws.. self-tapping or other style for
mounting a chin-up bar.
Generally, the most secure method will be to get as many threads as
possible into the thickness of the material that the part is being
attached to, which means a fine-thread, self-tapping type screw, most
likely (or nut-sert type products that were mentioned previously).
If the fasteners that you recommend fail, the user could sustain a
laceration, or possibly brain trauma. Good luck fending off the lawyers.

If you're trying to come up with a simple solution for the end user to
mount a product that you intend to sell, safety should be the primary
factor. If some doofus can't install the product, then they'll return it
to the seller, or improvise a solution (not your problem).

Well, the real Q is along the lines you've mentioned.
"Real" sheetmetal screws, such as hvac ductwork, really can't put ANY
threads in the material itself, ductwork is just too thin. I always thought
the tek-type screws were the wrong thread design for this application.

Even 16 ga is sort of thin, but chassis screws seemed to have been developed
for this purpose, which is why I mentioned them in the earlier thread, but
no one picked up on this. Roger touched on these, which I'll continue in a
response to him.

Chassis screws seem to be a discontinued item, so I wonder how practical,
under load conditions (not really found on radio chassis) threads in thin
material is.

Which is why I'm asking about threading vs. *binding* of thin material
together, via a larger ratio of major to minor diameters.

I keep mentioning SR screws, because the coarse thread screws really seem to
have a much better major/minor diam ratio, and I believe I've seen
specialty-type screws that used this strategy.

If the answer is, STFU and buy a box of self-drilling sheet metal screws,
then I'll do it, but this never really seemed to be the "right" solution, on
basic geometrical/mechanical grounds, for the above threading reasons.
--
EA

--
WB

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

In metal, 16 ga. Related to my doorbuck Q, figgered I'd narrow it down a
little

How do the two compare, both fine and coarse thread? Loads would be
mostly in shear, but there could be some pullout forces.

I've never seen fine/coarse thread sheet metal screws, just in sheet rock
screws. Do they exist?

I'm assuming doorbucks are 16 ga.

--
EA