Posted to alt.home.repair
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default What's the trick to mowing grass on a steep hill with a gas push mower

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 00:40:49 -0400, mm wrote:

I don't see why this is especially suited for a slope.

I looked up hover mowers (electroluc flymo, eastman industries hover mower,
allen, draper, etc.).

The marketing makes it seem so simple, but there must be a good reason why
we're all not using a hover mower.

One problem is that they apparently can't cut high grass; another is they
reputedly don't work well on uneven surfaces; yet another, I'm told, is
that rocky soil (which is what I have) chips the weak plastic blades; yet
another is that the blades are purportedly puny, about 2 inches, so hover
mowing a large area might not be a whole lot better than whacking with the
weed whacker.

They seem to be available in 4 stroke, 2-stroke, and in 110/220 corded.

This hover mower idea might work, especially if it can hold itself on a
bank being controlled by a rope ... but that remains to be seen whether it
can actually be remotely controlled from the top of the slope.