Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What's the trick to mowing grass on a steep hill with a gas push mower

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:17:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 11, 1:33*am, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
What's the trick for mowing a half-football field sized steep slope with a
gas push mower?

I need to mow the steep hill at the side of my house which is overgrown
with tall grasses and weeds. It looks like half a football field on its
side, with the shorter distance being the fall line.

I don't know the degrees but it's hard to walk along the slope, mostly due
to the unconsolidated soil and the slope; but it's possible to walk it; but
with a mower, things get harder fast.

When I tried to mow down the fall line, it was way too hard as I
accelerated down and couldn't pull the mower up (and kept falling down,
which doesn't seem safe).

When I tried to mow across the fall line, I could barely hold the line to
cut a swath but it was always a steep diagnal. Gravity pulled the mower so
that it actually moved at a 45 degree angle to my sidewise motion, which
itself was something less than straight across the fall line due to the
slope.

I thought of tying a rope to the handle and letting gravity mow straight
down the fall line; but it might be difficult to pull the running mower
back up.

Before I try something stupid, I figured I'd ask you guys if you've solved
the problem of trying to mow with a gas push mower (it's all I have) on a
steep slope.

There is no trick. You simply use one of these (pick the model that
matches your requirements)

http://www.flymo.com/node2417.aspx?nid=16702

Just swing it back and forth as you traverse the slope.

Why would that be less dangerous? It says nothing about hills on the
webpage and it seems to me that if it's floating, it's even easier to
get your foot under it.

Not only that, if it's heavy, its tendenecy is to keep all 4 wheels on
the ground. Since the user of the flymo will be uphill from the
mower, won't every time he lowers his arms cause the front of the
mower to go up and the rear to go down, making for a very uneven cut
and a blade that can easily throw things at anyone in front of it.

Just some thoughts. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see why this is
especially suited for a slope.