Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Craftsman Tools at Ace Hardware

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:19:39 -0700, "Artemus" wrote:

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
.. .
I have lots of Craftsman hand tools and I've only had to use their
lifetime warranty once. I've never been a fan of their power tools, but
their hand tools have never let me down.

I've got my Dad's set(s) of Craftsman mechanic tools (c.
1950's-1960's) and a lot I've bought since. I've broke one socket (a
1/4" deep socket w/ a 1/4 drive w/ a 1/4"-1/2" adapter and an 18" 1/2"
drive breaker bar). They replaced it.

If anything has declined, it's the "fit and finish". Most sockets
I've seen lately are 6-point, rather than 12-point. That might be OK
(who drives square bolts/nuts anymore?), or even better.

The tools to avoid (aside from power tools) are the "accessories",
e.g: "router tables" or "dovetail jigs", &tc. They're crappy and a
joke.

Also, I don;t think I'll buy their edge tools (planes, chisels, &tc.).

-Zz

That's been pretty much my experience too. The Craftsman garden tools
have really crappy fiberglass handles anymore. The resin cracks and the
fibers separate. I've returned many shovels, pitchforks, and garden forks.
The hickory handles stood up much better.
Art

Try the Craftsman socket chisels if you come across them at a yard sale or flea.
They were probably last made in the 50's. They're worth the effort to flatten
and sharpen, even if you have to make a replacement handle. Excellent steel,
and somebody may have already flattened the back for you.

The black plastic handled chisels they currently sell are made from good steel.
I spent a lot of time flattening the backs of the set I bought. Every one was
convex. They're hard chisels, hold a good edge. Too much trouble to get flat
though.