Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Craftsman Tools at Ace Hardware

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I have lots of Craftsman hand tools and I've only had to use their
lifetime warranty once. I've never been a fan of their power tools, but
their hand tools have never let me down.

I've got my Dad's set(s) of Craftsman mechanic tools (c.
1950's-1960's) and a lot I've bought since. I've broke one socket (a
1/4" deep socket w/ a 1/4 drive w/ a 1/4"-1/2" adapter and an 18" 1/2"
drive breaker bar). They replaced it.

If anything has declined, it's the "fit and finish". Most sockets
I've seen lately are 6-point, rather than 12-point. That might be OK
(who drives square bolts/nuts anymore?), or even better.

The tools to avoid (aside from power tools) are the "accessories",
e.g: "router tables" or "dovetail jigs", &tc. They're crappy and a
joke.

Also, I don;t think I'll buy their edge tools (planes, chisels, &tc.).

-Zz

That's been pretty much my experience too. The Craftsman garden tools
have really crappy fiberglass handles anymore. The resin cracks and the
fibers separate. I've returned many shovels, pitchforks, and garden forks.
The hickory handles stood up much better.
Art