Swingman

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ - additional memories

As a draftee, at 5 AM one cold morning in 1967, I left my warm bed, and an
equally warm an delectable young wife, for a 100 mile ride to ye olde Army
Induction Center.

The single, smug son-of-bitch sitting next to me on the bus gloated all the
way that he had VOLUNTEERED, _enlisted_ . JOINED UP, and was going to
Helicopter School ... to say that he was ecstatic to be on that damn bus is
an understatement. We get to the induction station and that SOB was almost
immediately declared 4F and got a free ride back home that afternoon ... I
didn't cry, but I damn sure felt like it!

I think the only other time I envied anyone that much was when I stepped off
the plane to Vietnam and saw the SOB's lining up to get on that very same
plane to go home!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Lionel" wrote in message

I was at a dance (my mother made my sisters take me) when the high school
football hero broke down and cried because he was declared 4-F at his
physical and couldn't enlist.

Now people think they're patriotic if they stick a bumper sticker on their
car and talk about being at war.