Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Craftsman Tools at Ace Hardware

On 6/11/10 5:10 PM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-06-11, wrote:

I wouldn't say that. I know some pro mechanics who use them.

I don't know you or said "pro mehcanics", but as a professional
mechanic, myself, I can tell you Craftsman tools are not good enough
to rely on for prolonged heavy duty use. Their guaranteed replacement
policy is totally worthless if you live 100 miles from the nearest
Sears store and are in the middle of a job. I know, I've been there.
Never again.

The guys I'm referring to are in an opposite position. They are within a
stone's throw of a big Sears at a really upsale mall, so they have a
really good stock. I was talking to one of them and he said they prefer
Snap-on (and have some), but they went through a time when the Snap-on
truck was unreliable. Since the Sears was right next door, it was more
convenient to go there for a new tool, replacement, duplicate, whatever.

I won't say your "pro mechanic" friends don't know what they're doing,
but if I go to a mechanic and find him using Craftsman tools, I'm
back out the door and looking elsewhere.

nb

Why would you go to a mechanic? :-)

In my experience in music and carpentry, the tools don't make the man,
the man makes the tools.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)