Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Is it worth having your own tire changer?

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:15:40 -0700, wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:48:09 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
m:

That's an argument against pretty much all power tools, and even DIY.

We frequently try to discourage Stryped from using anything A)heavy enough
to drop and hurt himself, or B)with sharp edges or points, or C)Powered (by
any means).

You must not know the history here...

If you feel that way then the best thing to do is let him learn the
hard way. Although you might want to recommend a radial arm saw rather
than a tire changer, which would likely take many lifetimes of home
use to generate a bruise, much less a severed appendage. :-)

Still, best to make it clear that DIY dangers tend to be wildly
overblown.

BTW, I got a nasty bruise from my abrasive chop saw last week. It was
on the floor in the raised position, I bumped into it, and it fell
over and pranged my ankle. I wouldn't have guessed it was even
possible. I've probably worn out a 100 blades using that thing without
a problem, and then it bites me when it wasn't even plugged in!

Wayne

The gun isn't loaded either
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada