Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Making your own control cable

On Jun 10, 9:25*pm, "SBH" wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in ...
On Jun 7, 6:21 pm, "SBH" wrote:

I have a Troy Bilt lawnmower which requires a control cable known as
"wheel
Speed Adjusting cable", which is basically a cable to control the self
propelled speed. This mower is about 16 years old, but in good shape. Upon
calling several parts suppliers, this cable is no longer available.
Though,
I haven't exhausted all resources just yet, the thought of making my own
comes to mind, thus, leads me to wonder if anyone has ever made their own
cable or knows of a place which can make it for me or any other option
offered?

Thanks

I did the one on my craftsman, just because I didn't want to wait or
pay, it is still available. The bottom end pulled off of it, I
reversed it and cobbled a connection to the speed control bar at the
top.
So yes it isn't rocket science. I'll nearly bet another brand cable is
close enough. Mowers are mostly made by MTD, so some parts interchange
is inevitable.

Troy bilt was bought by MTD. I have been to 4 local mower places and they
have nothing which even comes close to it. The oddity is at one end which
contains a little ball. This little ball fits into a hole of the dial to
adjust speed while the other end is an eyelet. If I can figure out a way to
attach the same type ball or use something close to it, the rest will be
easy.

Fishing weights?

nate