Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Isolation transformer source

bob wrote:
On 6/10/2010 4:57 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
In , Cydrome wrote:
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good isolation transformer for sale on-line?
Need one that will handle 5 amps or so at 120VAC, and have a standard AC
plug at the outlet. Prefer one for less than $100 or so, unless that seems
unreasonable. Found one at Mouser for $114 but that's only good for 1.25A.
Getting lots of irrelevant hits on google...

Thanks.

I think the $100 and "good quality" exclude each other for a transformer
that size.

the smaller units as used with cash registers and POS systems tend to max
out at 4 amps.

is used is ok, look for stuff from acme, topaz, oneac, shape, powervar.
powervar even had some interesting ones based off toroidal tranformers if
you want the ooh and aah factor.

Not cheap. Surplus Sales of Nebraska has some.

I'd avoid surplus sales. Why pay twice new prices for old stuff when you
don't have to?

It's an interesting place browse, and I've been there in person, but the
ripoff factor is pretty incredible.

Surplus sales has its place in the food chain. Its NOT a salvage place
that just haphazardly throws stuff in piles, its all gone through
sorted,labeled and cataloged. Lots of nice old ham gear stuff if you
into it. Yea, most of it is not cheap. but try to find some of it from
other sources. Some of the stuff they have will NEVER sell at the prices
they have it at. Everyone knows how hot tube oscilloscopes are.....

With the number of shops closing, i would wait for a going out of
business sale or Ebay.

bob

I think the whole basis for surplus sales is the guy has a really large
building, and can store infinite amounts of crap inside it forever.
Storing something there for decades doesn't seem to waste any space or
compete with shelf space for stuff that does sell.

It's a fun place to checkout if you're ever in Omaha. Lots of stuff on the
floor you can walk around isn't on the website.

Unfortunately the next best place like that that was in chicago called the
Radio TV Lab closed years ago. It was a serious time machine in there. The
guy had NIB replacement parts for wire recorders- and not ones from
planes, but from before magnetic tape worked at all, plus service guides
for pretty much anything with tubes in it. Getting in and out of the shop
was a single file line type operation and people having to all leave to
let customers out wasn't uncommon. Stuff was stacked to the ceilings in
every direction. If you needed a part that wasn't current it was there.

Maybe somebody here knows what this-

He had some sort of capacitor that looked like a large can electrolytic
but it was filled with liquid that sloshed around. I don't recall the
ratings at all.

It was explained that if shaken, and if the case started to feel colder
the cap was still good, sort of like an chemical ice pack.

Does anybody have any idea what sort of capacitor this was?