Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Yes, I understand. If your breakers work the way they should, then
they would protect you, your family and your property. But don't
they fail on occasion?
I think of them as a backup.

If you keep trying to find potential problems this way, you will never
wire your garage. After all - what is the difference between and
extension cord and a wired outlet? If that breaker failure occurs, the
impact is the same at the outlet as it is at the extension cord. How do
you think it is going to be any safer by not using the extension cord?

My point was that a regular extension cord was less likely to incur an issue
in the first place rather an multi-pound box containing 2 duplex outlets.
It would be quite easy,
for instance, for someone to spill a liquid into or kick the latter compared
a regular extension cord or a wall outlet. My neighbor's dog might even pee
on it. ; )

I AM eager to get the garage wired. I may have been half done by now, but
I was persuaded to "pull a permit" after I determined it wouldn't be too
difficult to apply. I'll submit my application on Monday and they should
reply in 3-5 days, so it was written. Possible loss of my homeowner's
insurance protection
was the most convincing factor. Hopefully this will be just a minor set
back.
I am chomping at the bit! Saw-shopping at the auction used up a few days
this week.
To be honest, facing a level of bureaucracy slowed me from having already
submitted
my application. This is my fault. This goes back to "The hardest part about
getting something done
is starting (or something else)"--especially when it something you haven't
done before.

As far as the details concerning the job, the main concern I have is "how
well" I need
to get the cable from one side of the attic to an adjacent corner.
Currently virtually all of
the cables of the house are lying unprotected in the attic. I would like to
do something in between
pulling up the attic floor boards and drilling holes in the joists, and just
laying 4 new cables
next to the ones already there. How about stapling the new cabkes to the
base of the ceiling
joists (using the appropriate staples)? Is that likely to pass an
inspection based on the situation
I've described? Obviously staping them to the floor boards is a horrible
concept, because, for instance,
I will need to get under those to install my lighting boxes.

Bill