Charlie Self

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Silvan notes:

The evening I quit, I finished
almost 4 packs of cigarets for the day, and that was not far above the

norm.
Even at 90 cents a pack, that was getting costly.

I hope you come through that OK, Charlie. Some people die of lung cancer at
50 without ever lighting a butt, and other people smoke five packs a day
until age 103.

I betcha a buck you cannot locate a single one of the latter. I was 50 when I
quit smoking and wish I'd quit 20 years earlier...about your age, IIRC...but I
was convinced the government was full of ****, so I kept on. Well, the
government IS full of ****, but cigarets are still not a great way to help your
health.

I was smoking an average of 3 packs a day, so that's 21 packs a week, at an
average of 90 cents a back. Call it 20 bucks a week, so like Swingman, I was
****ing away upwards of a grand. My first FIL used to claim he never smoked
(habitually--he liked the very occasional cigar) because he was too cheap,
wanted the money for other things.

I figure I'm spending $1,000. A nice budget, but OTOH if SWMBO doesn't have
to buy me my cigarettes, will I ever actually *see* the $20 a week I'm
saving?

Probably not. It will end up getting funneled into stupid useless pieces of
shiny metal and rock more than likely. One sad but true reason why I
haven't gotten around to quitting the damn things yet.

So buy your own, but don't. Stick the money in your sock drawer and use it for
something you want every 6 months or so.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html