Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10537 Ignoramus10537 is offline

Default More updates on the Bridgeport conversion project

On 2010-06-11, Karl Townsend wrote:

O.K. That voltage is probably necessary to get full torque at
full speed from the servo motors you have. (There should be maximum
voltage and maximum current on the motor's labels.)

Yep, max voltage 145 volts, pulse amps 32. (wow)

See

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-7331.jpg

You can run them on lower voltages, but as a result you will get
less maximum speed and less torque.

I think the servos you bought are 80 volt. You may (probably) be fine if you
go the AMC route.

I'd suggest your son do a speed and acceleration test to help you decide.
this would be fun. Take a 2:1 transformer, a bridge rectifier, and a
electrolytic cap if you have it. Show him how this makes AC into DC. Have
him read a web site on design of these. (Today's reading English lesson) Now
hook it to your X axis with the table at center travel. Bump your power to
it for a second and measure acceleration and velocity. if your transformer
has 4:1 reduction, do that one too. If you need more speed, make a run with
110 to the rectifier. Extra credit, use a variac in the circuit.

If you make a point of doing these lab exercises at every opportunity,
you'll have a friend for life.

Now, decide if 80 volt is enough. If it isn't and you want to go the AMC
route, there are several amps that will work. they tend to go in the $50-$80
range.

Karl, I do not really need to set speed records on this mill. Since it
is not enclosed, the faster it goes, the more dangerous it is to any
living being who would be unlucky enough to be close to it. (many
obvious safety warnings apply etc)

I figured out some servo wiring (see my more recent post) and ran the
Y axis servo motor. I checked out the speed at 30 volts with a little
power supply I had. I think that it was almost adequate. So 80 volts
is not a problem.

The question that is on my mind right now, is that perhaps I should
simply keep everything that is in the cabinet -- all the safety
wiring, relays, etc, with new encoders, and hook up EMC/PPMC to that
just as Heidenhain was. The plus is I keep all the safety features
that seem to be provided by all those relays.

Of course, I could only do it if I figure out the basics of their
wiring.