Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Isolation transformer source

On 6/10/2010 4:57 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
In , Cydrome wrote:
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good isolation transformer for sale on-line?
Need one that will handle 5 amps or so at 120VAC, and have a standard AC
plug at the outlet. Prefer one for less than $100 or so, unless that seems
unreasonable. Found one at Mouser for $114 but that's only good for 1.25A.
Getting lots of irrelevant hits on google...

Thanks.

I think the $100 and "good quality" exclude each other for a transformer
that size.

the smaller units as used with cash registers and POS systems tend to max
out at 4 amps.

is used is ok, look for stuff from acme, topaz, oneac, shape, powervar.
powervar even had some interesting ones based off toroidal tranformers if
you want the ooh and aah factor.

Not cheap. Surplus Sales of Nebraska has some.

I'd avoid surplus sales. Why pay twice new prices for old stuff when you
don't have to?

It's an interesting place browse, and I've been there in person, but the
ripoff factor is pretty incredible.

Surplus sales has its place in the food chain. Its NOT a salvage place
that just haphazardly throws stuff in piles, its all gone through
sorted,labeled and cataloged. Lots of nice old ham gear stuff if you
into it. Yea, most of it is not cheap. but try to find some of it from
other sources. Some of the stuff they have will NEVER sell at the prices
they have it at. Everyone knows how hot tube oscilloscopes are.....

With the number of shops closing, i would wait for a going out of
business sale or Ebay.

bob