Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Light, strong, not springy, wood for a skateboard?

Rolls of thin wood to make your own plywood. You want all hardwood.
You want water-proof glue. Not white or yellow. Maybe (Maybe) liquid nail
stuff. Apple-ply - but you want a little bend in the ends.

The curved deck was developed over years of riding. Easier when skating.

I have (my sons) a deck that is likely 3.5' long and at least 12" wide.

It was a trick and fun one. Trucking types are narrow and long.
More like a ski.

Use quality trucks and mounting system. They save ankles.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/8/2010 8:00 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On 09 Jun 2010 00:22:32 GMT, John wrote:

I can buy a cheap skateboard for $20 US, but I would prefer to cut
my own. I do not want concave or springy, it needs to be strong
and lightweight flat wood. Anything readily available at the local
hardware stores that might work for a skateboard deck? Ordinary 1" x
8" (or 12") wood? Plywood?

Ash? Hickory? Stuff of baseball bats.