Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Considering Used Tools

"Sonny" wrote in message
My gut tells me to top your bid a $400.00.

It could be easily repaired for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new one.

For that matter, it may not *need* repairing in order to be fully
functional.

dadiOH

I agree with both above. I still think the saw is worth at least $600
(*single phase motor).

The scratches looked better today (perhaps someone worked on them a bit
before
the auction today) but I would access the overall condition of the saw as
good
to very good, surely not excellent or like new. I figured that for $500 and
the hardship of
figuring out how to get it home, that it would have been worth it.

This was not an issue as the saw sold for $850 (+ 10% buyer's premium +8%
sales tax).

Incidently the Jet (bench) drill press, with a cabinet support underneath,
went for $110 (+ 10% buyer's premium +8% sales tax)
and the Delta 8" jointer went for $225 (+ 10% buyer's premium +8% sales
tax).

I was tempted to bid on the jointer, but I couldn't justify the amount of
space
that it would take up at this point. I read its owner's manual online last
night, and learned a few things.

Lots of stuff at the auction was going real cheap, there was so much of
it...boxes and boxes of nails, screws, fasteners, wrenches, sockets,
taps--stuff
lots of people have, but Mr. West had the resources to store large
quanitites of stuff and he evidently took advantage of it. Towards the end,
$5 would get you more
nails and screws and fasteners than you could carry. For me the question
wasn't "Is this a good deal?", it was "Is it worth trying to find a place to
store it?" (as
virtually all of you surely understand better than I do)!

There were lots (dozens) of old automotive-related antique signs--very few
went for less than $100 and several larger ones went for as much as $850
(remember the red winged horse--the Marathon logo?). When I saw antique
"wall" thermometers going for $135 to $300 and the "rusty ol' signs" going
for $700-800, my hopes of getting a good deal on the TS diminished. A
fancy antique gas pump went for $1500 (museum quality) and 2 tire pressure
machines (the ones where you set the desired pressure with a crank) went for
over $500 each! Those didn't impress me much--and from the way the wife of
one of the buyer's rolled her eyes, they didn't impress her that much
either).

Not a decent hand plane in sight. Well, there's the price update I
promised. I saved you 5 hours in the hot sun (lovely day though)!

Bill