Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default More updates on the Bridgeport conversion project

On 2010-06-11, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28478 wrote:

Brian, thanks for the warning. I already hooked it up to the
converter, so if there was any damage, it may have already occurred. I
think that I was lucky and voltage from lines L1-L2 was applied to the
transformer and such.

Okay, I think you got it. Two phases are attached to the generated leg. You do not want
the control power transformer on those. Stick to the line connected leg.

Exactly. I traced some wires last night, it does look like the servo
stuff is using lines L1-L2 and L3 goes to the spindle motor only.

In my 3 phase wiring, I made really sure that L1-L2 are where they
belong.

Excellent. I hope your son is by your side during this, subject to the attention span of
small boys. Watching is part of learning, especially if your son asks good questions and
you are willing to stop and explain.

Obviously he can't advise you but when he makes connections using your explanations of
what you are doing or trying to understand, a bit of praise for getting a grip on it or
asking the right follow up questions is positive reinforcement to encourage a life of
learning.

I have a strong feeling you are a dad he wants to emulate.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller