Andy Dingley

Default Electrolytic Rust Removal & Power Supplies

On 01 Jan 2004 06:15:34 GMT, (Greg) wrote:

Has anyone actually tried to figure out how many amps this process consumes at
a given voltage?

Enough to fry my rectifier ! It failed just a couple of days ago - I
think the next one will be a switch mode.

Voltages for this process should be kept low (12V is convenient, but a
bit on the high side). Excess voltage causes outgassing that you don't
need and don't particularly want (in another thread, it may encourage
hydrogen embrittlement of hardened steels).

Current should be about 1-2A for "typical" woodworking applications.
Current is irerelevant for most purporses, it's current _density_
(current / area) that matters. My big tree-felling saw was taking
10A, which I was limiting it too (and which then toasted my poor
undersized diodes) and could have used even more.

If your current is too high, separate the electrodes further. If it's
too low, check that the electrolyte concentration isn't too weak.

--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.