Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Is it worth having your own tire changer?

stryped wrote:
I found this nearby: http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1784566427.html

Wondering if it would be worth having changing tires on trailer, small
tractor, wife's car? I dont have a balancer though.

After getting burned several times having shops mount my racing tires, I
bought a RC10A rim-clamp machine for $300. I've certainly gotten my
money's worth from it. It's nice to be able to buy tires anywhere and
mount them when you need them, rather than wait around hat in hand while
the pros bend your rims, shred your beads, and destroy your TPMS
sensors, all at your cost.
I maybe use it once a year now that I've gotten lazier and racing
less, so I'm thinking of selling it. But not yet.
the electronic balancer though will probably go. Bubble balance
works just as well, and it's much smaller. That big hood on the balancer
just gets in the way. Now, if I could find one of those little
"sawhorse" Snap-On units...