Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster[_2_] geraldthehamster[_2_] is offline

Default Respirator filters - what's in them?

On Jun 10, 3:16*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/06/2010 14:03, geraldthehamster wrote:

I'm curious as to what the filters in B&Q respirators contain. Their
website being crap, I can't find a link, but I refer to the masks with
a rubber bit that fits over mouth and nose, with two round filters on
either side - one for dust and the other for vapour.

I tend to get shortness of breath from solvent and paint fumes. This
week I had it particularly badly (still have, in fact), so I bought
one of the above. The first time I used it, I found that after
breathing through it for a few minutes, I could expand my lungs a lot
better. The effect didn't last for long after I stopped wearing it.

It may be that you got accustomed to breathing through a slight
resistance, and hence noticed the extra ease of breathing when it was
removed?

I should clarify - I experienced the effect while breathing through
the mask - ie I was still wearing it. It persisted for some time
afterwards.

Cheers
Richard