Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default Screwfix Hitachi cordless SDS - any good

YAPH wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:45:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Could be nice for the man who has everything and plenty money, but
just how often would you use a cordless SDS?

Not often enough that I've been seriously tempted to pay twice what
the Hitachi's currently going for, but often enough that it would be
quite
nice to have when I've got to fix down a WC pan to a solid floor,
stick a hole through a wall or whatever, and it takes almost as long
faffing
about with mains extension cables as doing the job itsef! And
particularly for the very few occasions when I've got to work up a
ladder where a
trailing mains cable is particularly unwelcome.

I'd keep my mains SDS too, for more sustained drilling and
particularly hammering/chiselling where I'd probably be forever
juggling batteries with the cordless.

Practically, one of the real issues is where I'd *keep* the damn'
thing
since the van's full of toadstools[1] and the carry case it comes in
has
the rather pathetically bloated size compared to its contents you
usually get on toy DIY stuff ("look what a bit tool I've got!" - the
powertool equivalent of rock stars' socks stuffed down the trouser
crotch :-))

[1] There's not mush room inside ;-)
(Who remembers Lonny Donegan's "My old man's a dustman"?!

And what are Gor Blimey trousers?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk