Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default Any tips on getting rid of ceramic tile?

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jun 9, 8:13 pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
Concrete sub-floor, no backer board. 40 year old 4 x 3 tiles with yellow
"mastic" as the adhesive. It's caked on good underneath and it's old.
wanna prevent renting a Hilti/Kango with a scrapper cause it'll cost $100
around these parts for a day. That'll be a last resort I guess

Solvents?

And type of manual scrapers?

grinders or some other abrasive?

I can't damage the sub-floor (concrete) underneath.

Can you just go over it with new backer and ner tile/wood/carpet????

I really wish but no. The grouting was done very poorly on this particular
floor but the tiles are only 4 x 2 inches, not 12 x 12 for example. Several
of the tiles are broken and many others they have become uneven. I'm
putting in a duraceramic floating floor and the tile store owner and
installer said the paper backer might not hold up if apply overtop of such
small tiles. It'll be in a heavy traffic area.