Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default OT English, serious question

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

..

For that matter, the
first books I would buy the boy would be a Roget's Thesaurus
(thumb-indexed and
conceptually organized) and an unabridged dictionary like Merriam
Webster's or
Random House. Your son might want to check an entry every time he
references it with
the understanding that if he sees a number of checks piling up by a
word or conceptual
cluster of antonyms or synonyms, that might signal memorization should
take an extended
look.

What I used to do when I was reading and ran across a word in a book that
was new to me was to make a note of the page in the book where the word was
used and my best guess from the context. When I got the chance later,
--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent. I