Posted to alt.home.repair
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Identifying a Faucet

On 6/9/2010 11:02 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Usually you find some of those bits in the aerators. I know I did.

Before forcing the handle off I'd get a bucket, diconnect the lines at
the bottom of the faucet and make sure both flowed well and equally
into the bucket.

The aerator is clean. I'll definitely check the flow, but wiggling the spout on
the faucet caused the water to flow more freely. At least I need to take it
apart and clean it.

New problem: The faucet cutoff valves are extremely hard to turn. I mean HARD. I
almost couldn't get the hot water to turn off, and I could not get the cold off
because the handle is so close to the drain pipe.

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/plum...-valves-04.jpg

I'm going to have to turn off the water supply to the house and remove these
completely to find out why they are so stiff. I'm assuming they have mineral
build ups that need to be cleaned, or the valves need to be replaced. They could
certainly be part of the problem.

I'm curious. Why are these valves used instead of ball valves? Cost? Ball valves
are a lot easier to operate since the water is either all the way on or all the
way off.

Maybe I'll get one of these, or something like it.

http://www.gordonwrench.com/tool.htm