Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Considering Used Tools

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

If I take a face jointed board and place it on my very flat tablesaw, it
can
be difficult to move because it creates, for want of a better word, a
vacuum which tends to hold the board in place. Gouges in the surface,
so long as they did not protrude _above_ the surface, would relieve that
vacuum allowing the workpiece to move more easily, not to mention the
reduced
surface to surface contact region which would also work to reduce
friction.

scott

We are talking about scratches, not like the indentations of a corrugated
hand plane.
Think of the corners at the top of a scratch more like a scraper (and pieces
of wood do
not tend to be perfectly flat either, especilly near the ends).

A little wax may help in the best or the worst case. I've written
everything I know about this.

Best,
Bill