Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Considering Used Tools

"Bill" writes:

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:VmOPn.13794$aO4.543@hurricane...
Bill wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:aILPn.34518$U64.16377@hurricane...
It could be easily repaired for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new
one. For that matter, it may not *need* repairing in order to be
fully functional.

Very true. I should have run some pieces of wood across the top to
see how much the added friction
affected them. I still have a chance. Thank you for your interest.

Bill

Gouges, scratches, missing chunks would *decrease* friction, not increase
it.

I don't believe I agree that an abundance of scratches would *decrease*
friction at all.
To the touch, they create a rougher surface, not a smooother one. A FILE
provides a self-evident
contradiction.

If I take a face jointed board and place it on my very flat tablesaw, it can
be difficult to move because it creates, for want of a better word, a
vacuum which tends to hold the board in place. Gouges in the surface,
so long as they did not protrude _above_ the surface, would relieve that
vacuum allowing the workpiece to move more easily, not to mention the reduced
surface to surface contact region which would also work to reduce friction.

scott