Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Spindle Bore specification question

On 2010-06-09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 8, 5:48*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

* * * * And, BTW, what would be nicer is a bore of 1-3/8" 34.9mm, which
means that 35mm would be the nearest integer size). *The reason for this
being a particularly desirable bore is that this will pass the drawbar
for 5C collets, the most common (and thus the most affordable) size of
collets.

* * * * * * * * DoN.

Looks like the 1" spindle bore is the 11" lathe for $1700 and the next
larger one with a 1-7/16" bore costs $1000 more.

Ouch!

I like 5C a lot but perhaps not THAT much. Most of what I make from
ground drill rod is 1/2" or less and a 3C collet would be enough. A
collet isn't as useful for non-precision rolled stock, even if it
fits. Out-of-round pieces can wobble.

I was lucky that my 12x24" Clausing came with a lever style
drawbar and nosepiece for 5C collets. (I actually just received a 5mm
collet today -- ordered from MSC yesterday for a current project.)

Right now the lathe has a 4 jaw Sherline chuck on a 5C mount in it,
holding a 6mm replacement choke shaft for my string trimmer that
needed a rectangular cut for the lever on one end. The 5C chuck also
fits in a spin index on the mill.

Those Sherline chucks on 5C collet mount are nice. I've got one
which Sherline put on eBay to boost the number of people who know about
them.

I also got a small 3-jaw chuck on a similar mount -- but from a
different maker, and the 5C drawbar threads are a bit oversized, making
it a pain to get on and off the lathe. (Maybe I should try skimming the
threads a bit in the lathe.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564