Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Spray in foam insulation

On Jun 9, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
This past winter I found I had a cold wall in my home around my
chimney. I want to replace the fiberglass insulation in that *wall
with spray in closed cell foam. I dont want to open up the sheetrock.
It would be much easier to pull off the siding and spray it in from
the outside. Would this be problematic?

Jimmie

YES... It is MUCH easier to deal with sheetrock repairs on
the inside of the wall than it is to cut open a small section
of the outside of the wall, removing the siding, then sheeting
to access the inside of the wall cavity... Then having to
close up the wall, replacing the sheeting then residing all
while making sure it is weather tight...

If you are worried about blending in the wall -- strip off
the sheetrock on that entire wall surface and insulate
the entire wall the same way, rather than one or two
stud bays... The sheetrock repairs to the entire wall
would be easier as your only transitions would be in the
corners and at the edges...

That is exponentially EASIER to deal with than ripping into
the wall of the building to insulate it from the outside in...

~~ Evan