Frank Shute

Default New bandsaw saga Part III (long)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 7:25:30 -0700, Bruce wrote:

Thanks for the input Frank.

No worries.

One plan is to make a riser for the fence that will give me an additional
4-6" of height, I'll probably make an assortment so I can keep the guides
really close. The saw came with a nice push stick so I'm all set there.

Sounds good. I'm sure you'll get better results with a higher fence
for when you're deep ripping.

I made a featherboard which really helped with consistancy. I tried reducing
the size of the boards I'm cutting to 6" which sped things up (in proportion)
but it's still way too slow. One thing I tried that helped some was to lube
the blade with "Remoil", a teflon based oil that I applied with a rag. It
seemed to keep the blade cleaner.

I'd go careful with the lube, if you get too much between the blade &
tires, your blade might not go around too fast!

I assume you're facing one side & one edge of the boards before you're
ripping, if not, you'll find that it will help to keep the board
butted up tight to the fence and table which is critical. It's also
critical that you set the drift right. I find that if I'm only a
little out, the saw starts to struggle. If I've got it set right, then
things go a *lot* easier. I set it by eye.

The saw is a keeper!

Damn! I was hoping I could arrange an exchange with you: my crappy 6"
under the guides machine for your monster....sounds fair to me

You'll get to love your bandsaw & wonder what all your compatriots see
in their table saws whilst their fingers are getting scattered around
their workshops...

I'll just need to build up my fixture inventory and play with a
variety of blades.

I usually keep my widest possible blade on with 4 tpi & only change it
to something thinner if I need to cut some tighter radii than my wide
blade can handle. I hate changing blades - a lot of stuffing around on
my machine with it's rubbish guides.

--

Frank

http://www.freebsd.org/