Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default TEAC AG-790 (not A) somewhat burned

Hi!

If the leads of the new/uncut replacement resistors aren't long
enough to bridge across the burned area, you may need to
implement a small custom circuit board to hold the resistor(s).

So...

If it were possible (meaning that the leads will reach), does that
mean that scraping off the solder mask from the other side of the
board and installing the new resistors there would be acceptable?

I can do that, but I am concerned about longevity...solder joints not
cracking, that sort of thing.

It's too bad this couldn't have been something easy, like a broken
board. I've done that a few times now with excellent and durable
results.

I believe trimming away the scorched/burned material is a good
practice.

I cleaned off most of the burn damage on the solder side by scrubbing
with simple soap and water. What was there was mostly soot.

One of the common PCB specs is 94V (I think) related to flame
resistance.

I've seen that written (as "94V-0") on circuit boards and looked it
up. As best I remember, that was a fire resistance indication.

I've never tried to make a PCB or even a project board before. I have
some idea of what's involved in both...

TEAC America does make available a service manual for this receiver
and it should have the resistor values I need. While it's not too
unreasonably priced ($14+S&H), their online ordering is incredibly
hokey. They really do expect you to respond to a "price quote" e-mail
and submit all of your details--including credit card number!--as a
reply.

I'm not so worried about fraud, being as I've had to do that before
(with VMware back in the day)...but in this day and age of easily
implemented online stores? Heh...what year is it at TEAC?

William