Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default the innate perversity of inanimate objects

Don,

I would like to renew my candidacy for adoption by Mary and you.

Bob Swinney
"Don Foreman" wrote in message
My knice knife is back in my pocket!

We got lucky. The lake was unusually calm last night and this
morning, so the water was gin clear. I could easily see the knife on
the bottom while standing on the dock this morning. Hell, I could
even see the oblong hole in the back of the blade that aids opening
with the thumb of the holding hand. It had sideslipped a couple of
feet from point of entry but it was still under the dock in about 3
feet of water.

It had occurred to me to use the barbeque tongs with which to grab it.
Then the only body parts that need get wet are legs and maybe a
forearm. When I mentioned that as I was girding for my dunk,
Minnesota Mary said "oh, I'll do it", forthwith stripped to the
waist (from toes up), grabbed the tongs, waded into the lake and
retrieved my knife first try.

I was suitably appreciative.

A while later a fresh onshore wind came up, the lake got lumpy with
waves rolling in, and an hour after that visibility was less than 3"
in the turbid seapoop water.

We used to pretty much always drive the truck to the lake so there's
a big donut magnet in the bed. Next trip I'll bring that magnet to
live here and be available when needed. I rather doubt that this
will be the last tool dropped out of the boat or off the dock.