Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Bill"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
-- but why are you using 12-3 cable? (12-3 has *four* conductors:
black, red, white, and bare.)

For this particular wire run, I'm going to power 8 duplex outlets with one
hot and 4 more with the other hot.

Why not 6 and 6?

Well, it's really 4, 4 and 4. I thought the 120 quad above the 220v for the
TS could share, and
the other quad would run from a circuit dedicated to it. Having the two
duplex halves of a quad
running off of totally separate circuits seems downright dangerous (because
its confusing)!

There's no need to run 12-3 or 10-3 for pure 240V outlets. A 240V circuit
does
not use, and hence does not need, a neutral conductor, so 12-2 or 10-2
will
work just fine.

I could run my two 120v branch circuits from one 12-3 cable and a tandem
breaker. Is there much
advantage to two cables and two breakers?

As a non-professional, I suspect the price structure favors one 250' spool
of cable.
Others have suggested 12-3 (partially, for the unforeseeable future, I
think), in addition
to the fact that you get two 120v branch circuits from one cable).
I intended to install only 20 Amp circuits everywhere--however
Joseph brought up some new issues concerning this to my attention. My TS
wants to
be on a 20 Amp circuilt. I understand 12 gauge wire is suitable for that
(10 being
required only on 30 Amp circuits, from my understanding).

I need to assimilate some of this. I'll keep thinking!

It might be helpful to discuss concerns relating to putting lighting on 20
Amp circuits, as
I think there is some inconsistency present. One advantage I see is that
you
can occasionally demand a little more from one of the circuits. I already
have a separate
lighting fixture/circuit, from the main panel, so a total loss of lighting
is only a possibility
with a total power outtage.

Bill