Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Light, strong, not springy, wood for a skateboard?

John Doe wrote in news:4c0edec7$0$8801$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

I can buy a cheap skateboard for $20 US, but I would prefer to cut
my own. I do not want concave or springy, it needs to be strong
and lightweight flat wood. Anything readily available at the local
hardware stores that might work for a skateboard deck? Ordinary 1" x
8" (or 12") wood? Plywood?

Thanks.

For something that's strong and will stand up well, I'd look for a really
good plywood. Chances are a 3/4" sheething grade plywood won't stand up
to the kinds of stresses a skateboard takes.

Get plywood with as many layers as you can find. For something like a
3/4" plywood with 15+ layers, you may have to start looking at more
specialty places.

FWIW, most boards sold as "1x" (one-by) are really only 3/4" thick.
Widths are also smaller, dimensional "x8" lumber is probably only 7 1/4"
wide (Maybe it's 7 1/8"?).

Puckdropper