Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Light, strong, not springy, wood for a skateboard?

On 09 Jun 2010 00:22:32 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I can buy a cheap skateboard for $20 US, but I would prefer to cut
my own. I do not want concave or springy, it needs to be strong
and lightweight flat wood. Anything readily available at the local
hardware stores that might work for a skateboard deck? Ordinary 1" x
8" (or 12") wood? Plywood?

Thanks.

Get the best strength with 3 or more thin glued-up layers of clear
hardwood. Which wood you use will determine the weight.