Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DC power supply for CNC?

Robert Swinney wrote:

Mike sez:

" . . .if you're not trying to turn those capacitors into
confetti and the cans into projectiles."

Caps can be dangerous alright. I remember an incident from a military class on HV (radar) power
supplies. The class clown got knocked on his ass by touching the wrong part of the (experiment)
power supply. As he was picking himself up off the floor and when he cleared the edge of the
workbench, a cap blew and he got slapped between the eyes with part of the cap's aluminum case.
Down he went, again.

Some of those large computer grade electrolytics could cause a
concussion, or even kill you if you're careless enough. I had a hell of
a time teaching some people to test low voltage linear power supplies
with a variac. They insisted on setting it at 120 VAc, then flipping
the power switch. If one of the nine electrolytics was installed
backwards, you didn't have time to turn it off before they vented.
Luckily, they had a 1/8" plate bolted down to keep them in place.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.