Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DC power supply for CNC?

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:26:12 -0500, Ignoramus8975

On 2010-06-08, Tim Wescott wrote:
It may work great, but if you didn't remove any resistors from it you
may find that it has poor regulation under a varying load. Most battery
chargers need some sort of current limiting; you can do this in the
transformer by designing in a healthy amount of leakage inductance
(microwave oven power transformers usually have a slug of transformer
material wedged or spot-welded into the core between primary and
secondary for this purpose). So you may find that the transformer it
inherently incapable of good regulation.

And poor regulation to your servo amplifiers could cause all sorts of
weird problems.

I'd try it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't good enough.

And yes, put some filter caps in there.

Tim, how can I test it? Can I, say, make it produce, say, 15 amps of
current, and I would watch the voltmeter to see if it sags a lot?

Well, if you touch the leads to your tongue...
..
..
..
..
CAUTION: KIDS, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.