Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Krylon vs Rustoleum

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Well, I wasn't fixing the house. I was spray painting a bicycle. I'd
used Rustolem enough times. Didn't spray very well. So, this time to
the Walmart, I bought Krylon. Sprays well, and the next day the nozzle
isn't clogged.

Anyone else found this also?

I recently made a stand for my drill press, composed of welded sections of
angle iron and sheet panels. The stock metal was acquired as surplus, where
it had been sitting out in a yard for a few years. It has been sitting
since in my carport, and has about a 30% coating of light rust, mainly on
the edges and the outside angle.

While I wire brushed the areas that I welded, the rest of it was untouched.

I applied two coats of the brown Rustoleum "Rusty Metal Primer", then let it
sit for a few days before applying two coats of Rustoleum "Professional High
Performance Enamel".

With neither product did I have any trouble of the nozzle clogging. I
actually used the last half of a can of the primer that I had sitting around
for the last year or two, and it worked just fine.

IIRC, I did invert the can of the "high performance enamel" after each use,
but I have never done that with the primer.

I have always been impressed with their "Rusty Metal Primer", and while this
is my first time using their "Professional High Performance Enamel", I am so
far pleased with the results (it is certainly better than any of the cheap
rattle-can products I have used in the past).

Jon (not a painter, nor a representative of Rustoleum)