Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Spindle Bore specification question

On 2010-06-08, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

When spindle bore is specified as (say) 1", does that mean I can pass
a typical piece of 1" stock through it?

* * * * And, BTW, what would be nicer is a bore of 1-3/8" 34.9mm, which
means that 35mm would be the nearest integer size). *The reason for this
being a particularly desirable bore is that this will pass the drawbar
for 5C collets, the most common (and thus the most affordable) size of
collets.

* * * * * * * * DoN.

Looks like the 1" spindle bore is the 11" lathe for $1700 and the next
larger one with a 1-7/16" bore costs $1000 more.

I like 5C a lot but perhaps not THAT much. Most of what I make from
ground drill rod is 1/2" or less and a 3C collet would be enough. A
collet isn't as useful for non-precision rolled stock, even if it
fits. Out-of-round pieces can wobble.

Right now the lathe has a 4 jaw Sherline chuck on a 5C mount in it,
holding a 6mm replacement choke shaft for my string trimmer that
needed a rectangular cut for the lever on one end. The 5C chuck also
fits in a spin index on the mill.

jsw