Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default uPVC Window fixings - large window - how many?

In ,
Tim wrote:
New uPVC window arrived today for daughter's bedroom (that's teh last of
the iron single glazed windows going).

It is 1480 wide x 880mm high.

Side fixings are no problem - I reckoned on 3-4 each side of my personal
favourite Fischer FS 8x100mm frame fixings with caps. All into solid
brick.

However - how many should I be looking to do along the top and bottom?

I've seen some forums saying "none".

I have two rather wider than that - from Screwfix - and the original
fitting instructions only mentioned side fixings. And given I have
pre-stressed concrete lintels above I'm pleased about this.
The important thing is the window should sit on a good solid level base,
and any fixings not distort it. The foam used for gap filling will hold it
solidly.

Two fixings per side were as supplied.

I agree if the gap is fairly small (say an inch or so) - foam will
pack that and get a good grip - especially if you are fitting a window
with cill into an all brick opening. I was reusing the original tiled
cills and short of building them up (don't have any spare clay tiles)
there wasn't much I could do about the arrangement.

That 2" gap under mind I felt, after fitting the sides, did demand a
little extra than foam alone. Window was actually supporting itself
fairly well on side fixings alone, but the middle was a bit wibbly. I
think bolting through 2 wooden blocks was a good idea - but it's not a
very typical opening that one.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.