Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Screwing into a metal doorbuck

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Yeah, I know, a sheetmetal screw.....

But are there designs esp. good for semi-heavy loads attached to 16 ga
metal frames? At least I think they are 16 ga....

The problem I have with traditional sheet metal screws is that the ratio
of the major to the minor diameter seems kind of small, ie, there doesn't
seem to be enough thread "behind" the sheet metal.

Is the idea for the thread to grab the 16 ga material in the minor
diameter and sort of wedge it, or to thread/cut into the material?
Apropos of the latter, are chassis screws viable? Still made?

Are sheetrock screws a no-no? I like coarse SR screws, bec they seem to
have a large root/major diam ratio.

Sources for the "right kind" of fastener for this app?

As a sort of perspective, screwing into a wood doorframe seems much more
secure than screwing into a metal doorframe, bec well, you just have more to
screw into.

My goal is to screw into a metal doorframe and come as close to the
"secureness" of fastening into wood.

The loads that I mentioned will be on the order of bodyweight, and not
static loads, but dynamic. So I also worry about loosening in the metal
frame attachment, which would virtually never happen in wood.

I'm hoping there is a screw design that perhaps specifically addresses these
issues.
--
EA

--