Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old engine oil as wood preserver

On 07/06/2010 17:40, NT wrote:

I've had mixed results with oil& paraffin, fine in some cases, no
good in others. And oil alone soaks in much less. Oak shouldnt need
preserving though.

I guess the purpose of the diesel or paraffin is to transport the oil
deeper into the wood. Though in the case of this post it didn't seem
necessary. Probably because it was well seasoned, and hot day, bone dry
wood and rough sawn. Putting the oil on hot probably helped too. It
sucked in the first coat very quickly, especially where there were lots
of cracks and woodworm holes - I guess capillary action worked there.
The second coat applied around half hour later took longer to soak in. I
was surprised it became touch dry though by the following day - spouse
touched the post and I expected her to get a black oily finger but no.
If I try it on less absorbent wood I'll probably try mixing it with a
little diesel or petrol first.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.