Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
terry terry is offline

Default How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

On Jun 6, 7:54*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:20:53 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland

wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:02:52 -0700 (PDT), terry wrote:

The neon glows when the switch is 'off'.

Yes.

At ten cents per k.watt.hr

The only "problem" is that our energy here in sunny California is nowhere
near 10 per KWh. I'm going to get my bill and come back with the actual
numbers, but the first KWh is about 12 but that only lasts for a
"baseline" which is about a week. Then the next week is double, then
triple, then more than four times that when you get to the last week.

I'm figuring easily that it's 35 /KWh here in California. Any other
Californians out there that can help me on the math?

That's a big difference. It's about 8 here in east Texas (figuring
from actual electric bills, NOT company ads).

[snip]
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"At one point in time, many of us actually had Jesus as our personal
lord and saviour. *Unfortunately, we later had to dismiss him for
incompetence, gross negligence, misconduct and consistent failure to

show up for work."- Hide quoted text -

Maybe OK in principle but ............ Problem is that based on $2,50
per month ($30.00 per year), if indeed it is that much? That just over
8 cents per-day is inconsequential in the overall cost of operating a
North American home. (Less than 1% of energy bill).
Eight cents per day is here (NE Canada) about 8/10ths of 1000 watt
hours during one day, or the equivalent of leaving one 34 watt
fluorescent tube light fixture on all the time!.
Since we have a 9 'LED strip above our sink that uses ONE watt
(total), which we leave on all the time, it's hard to perceive 'All
the little indicator lights' adding up to anything significant!'
Also recall that after WWII, in the UK, neon 'night lights' became
available and my grandfather saying, with some delight, that he turned
off everything in the house except the night light and 'The meter
didn't even move'!
As posted here previously, mains voltage neons use a milliamp or two,
at 120 or 240 volts, LEDs probably less!
And since all/most electrical energy entering a home ends up as heat
within the house envelope anyway .................. !