Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Honda Going Back To Timing Chains?

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

I think it is more likely because people are ****ed about timing belts.
They have been around long enough that a big group of people have found
out that a $39 tune up is required at a 100,000 miles, but a $600+ timing
belt is required at 60,000 miles. And when the belt brakes, it causes
major inconvenience. I do not think anybody makes an interference fit
motor anymore, as they had to warrantee replace a bunch of motors.
People find out a motor requires a $700 fix at 60k miles, they go to the
competitors car.

even more nonsense - any performance motor will be an interference fit
motor as you call it - how could it not be and get decent compression -
econobox motors for little toy cars don't need the performance and can
afford the extra clearance but check ANY car you consider to be high
performance - BMW, Audi, Corvette, Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, Bentey, you
choose -

those cars you named, probably none have a rubber timing belt, and when you
figure a $800 tune up for the Porshe etc. they are not in the same league
of the cars we are talking about. the econoboxes pocket the pistons, etc,
so if the belt breaks the valves do not hit.