Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Honda Going Back To Timing Chains?

Tmning chains seldom wear out, seldom break, and seldom cause your
valves to turn into interesting forms of dramatic scuplture.

Belts on the other hand...shrug..thats what they generally do if you
dont replace them regularly. With some effort, cost and down time.

And since most new engines rely on interference fits for the highest
performance, a slipped or broken belt means a new engine. I'll bet
they went back to chains to be able to do the "100k warranty" thing.

"timing chains seldom ..." - you must be out of your mind - timing chains
always wear out, taking the larger gear with them - I've had to change them
on my 38 plymouth, 36 cadillac, 59 cadillac, and twice on my 51 dodge -
newer ones hold up better, but they still go bad - and they are much harder
to change than a belt - I've seen plenty of catastrophic timing chain
failures but the usual failure is not that the chain breaks, rather that it
stretches and cuts the teeth off of the cam gear.