Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default Recent thread on solid state disk drives

John R. Carroll wrote:
David R.Birch wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What is the advantage of these drives over, say, a 32 GB jump
drive at $70 (this week at Office Depot)? Speed? If so, how
great is that advantage in practice?
They replace the hard drive in a computer. Someone was asking
about small hard drives for machine tools. Spinning storage with
an IDE/PATA interface is disappearing from the market. What good
is a jump drive on something with no USB port?
We have that problem at work. Our newer Mitsubishi LASER CNC control
runs on Win95. The only network option is a PCMCIA reader and LAN
card in the reader. We installed the hardware and got the control to
recognize a laptop running Win2KPro, and vice versa, but so far, we
haven't gotten drive access to allow us to transfer files back and
forth.

These are a huge improvement over the old 28 pin 'M-Drive' we
used to run embedded NT in one product about 10 years ago. They are
a lot larger, too. They were $380 for a 32 MB soft drive.

If your CNC will run with one of the formats that Windows can use,
you can format the solid state drive & install the software, then
just plug it into the CNC machine. You could even make a duplicate
drive to use for troubleshooting or emergency repairs. It's cheap
production insurance at those prices.

Right now we'd be happy if we could load files from anything other
than the failing floppy drive. The control has a db25 serial port, but
for some reason, Mitsubishi decided that just being able to transfer
files with a COM program shouldn't work.

You have to properly select the I/O devices in the parameters David.
Which control is it?

5x10' LZP with LC20B control

Here's a pic of the control:

http://www.meridianmachinery.com/photos/1730_1.jpg