Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Import BXA toolpost experience

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 19:57:26 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

Mechanical Desktop is a kluge built on top of Autocad, Inventor was
built from the ground up as a 3D modeler. Autocad doesn't keep track
of units like most other CAD programs, and it seems likely that's the
root of your problem. Is there perhaps a default unit of length
setting in Alibre that, lacking specific units in the Desktop export,
is importing one unit of length as one mm rather than one inch?

What sort of file are you trying to import? (.dwg, .sat, .step, .iges,
etc.) Do you have Desktop available?

It is a step file. Both Solidworks 2007 (coompany) and my licensed copy of Alibre Expert
has the same issue.

If I force units in Alibre the design explodes as in all the details are separated by
about 25.4x.

We don't have a seat of inventor in the plant.

If there are no confidentiality issues I'd be willing to try opening
the file with Inventor 2009 and SW 2010. I do have Desktop as well,
but not installed.

I put in a request to the design firm that built the cell to provide me with proper data.
I *think* we are on good terms though they lost their *ss on this project.

They (we) always say that. I'm in the middle of losing my ass 7 days a
week for the next six weeks so I don't have too work to hard for the
rest of the summer. g

--
Ned Simmons